2023 Beginner SUMMER MUSIC PROGRAM
Intermediate students: see intermediate summer program here.
- To promote Chinese music and instruments & inspire children an interest in music
- June 25, 2023 – July 30 (6 weeks)
- 6/25 (orientation), 7/2, 7/9, 7/16, 7/23, 7/30 (recital)
- Minimum age:
- Percussions: Age 5 or above.
- All instruments: Age 7 or above.
- Suona and sheng: Age 9 or above.
- No experience required.
- Adults: please contact email@example.com regarding class availability. Intermediate students: see intermediate summer program here.
- To register, fill out an online registration.
- Non-refundable registration fees: $80.
- Each student can register up to two classes as long as there is no time conflict.
- Registration is not complete until the registration fees paid.
- Already registered but still need to pay for the registration fees? *** Click here to pay
- Class size varies depending on instruments.
- Placement to class is first come first serve after registration completes.
Selecting an instrument
- Please see our instruments section for an introduction on the different instruments.
- See videos on Youtube on performances on the various Chinese instruments.
- Avoid switching instruments after the first day of class as we may not able to get the instrument for you.
- One registration allows students to select up to two classes. Selecting only one class is also acceptable.
- Each student is required to have his or her instrument for class participation (except Chinese percussion where drums will be provided during class).
- Students who do not have instruments are recommended to rent or purchase from CYCS. From past experiences, many instruments purchased elsewhere do not meet up with the quality expectation.
- Rental or purchase through CYCS must be indicated during registration time so instruments can be prepared in advance.
- For Chinese instruments:
- Rental fee is $60 for 6 weeks. Students may take instrument home for practice. Rental fee is payable at the time of registration. If CYCS is unable to get the instrument, rental fees will be refunded in full.
- If students are interested in continuing and they decide to purchase the instrument, the rental fees already paid may be subtracted from the purchase price of the instrument as long as the purchase is on or before 7/30 (Sunday).
- Students should take good care of the instruments. Any broken strings or parts that need major repair will be charged separately.
- For cello:
- Instruments can be rented or purchased from C&L Music (510-252-9768) or other instrument stores.
- Students will be required to bring their own music stand to class. Music stand can be purchased in any music stores.
- In each class, we will need one to two parent volunteers to be the class parent assisting teacher copy music sheets, set up chairs, etc.
- Learn from some of the most experienced professional Chinese instrument masters. See instructors info.
- Students will have the opportunity to perform with other students in the recital on the last day of the program.
- Interested students may continue to learn the instruments in the Fall program starting in September. See instrument class program.
- Scholarships are available for zhongruan, sheng, and suona students in Fall season.
- Develop motor skills through acquiring playing techniques of the Chinese traditional instruments.
- Strengthen listening skills, concentration, and discipline and reinforce teamwork and cooperation through playing music with other students.
- Equip children with basic skills for self-expression and encourage creativity.
- Check out the FAQ section for some most commonly asked questions.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 510-701-8608 (Mandarin/daytime), 510-378-9045 (English/after 4pm)