2020 Online SUMMER MUSIC PROGRAM
To ensure safety of our students, families, and our staff, and to avoid large gatherings, CYCS will be offering summer classes in online format. During shelter-in-place, CYCS has offered online classes to our members for two months and successfully organized an online concert with 2 hours of recorded music performances from our students. We are ready to extend this experience to our new students.
- To promote Chinese music and instruments & inspire children an interest in music
- July 5, 2020 - July 26, 2020 (4 weeks)
- Orientation (by appointment), Recital (TBD)
- Class dates: 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, 7/26 Online
- Age 7 or above (including adults)
- No experience required.
- To register, fill out an online registration.
- Class fees for one instrument:
- Without instrument rental: $100
- With instrument rental: Add $40 (rental)
- With purchase of dizi: Add $80 (dizi)
- Registration is not complete until the registration fees paid.
- erhu, pipa, liuqin, zhongruan, guzheng, yangqin, dizi, sheng, suona, cello, Chinese percussion.
- Classes will be one-on-one 30 minute lesson via zoom meetings.
- Most classes will occur on Sunday and class time will be assigned once registration is confirmed.
|Entry Level Dizi||Instructor: Jian Ding|
|Entry Level Erhu||Instructor: Yongping Tian|
|Entry Level Pipa||Instructor: Hecheng Liu|
|Entry Level Liuqin
Entry Level Zhongruan
|Instructor: Hecheng Liu|
|Entry Level Yangqin||Instructor: Duny Lam|
|Entry Level Sheng||Instructor: Wanpeng Guo|
|Entry Level Suona||Instructor: Shude Wu|
|Entry Level Guzheng||Instructor: Hua Yang|
|Entry Level Cello||Instructor: Sasa Deng|
Selecting an instrument
- Please see our instruments section for an introduction on the different instruments.
- See videos on Youtube on performances on the various Chinese instruments.
- Avoid switching instruments after the first day of class as we may not able to get the instrument for you.
- Each student is required to have his or her instrument for class participation.
- Students who do not have instruments are recommended to rent or purchase from CYCS. From past experiences, many instruments purchased elsewhere do not meet up with the quality expectation.
- For all Chinese instruments rental, rental period will be from 7/5 - 7/26 with one week before and one week after as grace period.
- For cello rental, please contact C&L Music (510-252-9768) directly.
|Instruments||Rental Fees||Rental Duration||Remarks||Purchase Price Range|
|Dizi||no rental||n/a||$80 (G key)|
|Liuqin||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||~$300|
|Zhongruan||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||~$400|
|Yangqin||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||$700-$1000|
|Erhu||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||$300-$700|
|Guzheng||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||$300-$700|
|Pipa||$40||7/5 - 7/26||$10/week penalty after 8/2||$400-$1000|
|Cello||varies||Please contact C&L Music directly||n/a||n/a|
- For Chinese instruments:
- Rental fee is $40 for 1 month. Students may take instrument home for practice. Rental fee is payable at the time of registration. If CYCS is unable to get the instrument, rental fees will be refunded in full.
- If students are interested in continuing and they decide to purchase the instrument, the rental fees already paid may be subtracted from the purchase price of the instrument as long as the purchase is on or before 8/2/2020 (Sunday).
- Students should take good care of the instruments. Any broken strings or parts that need major repair will be charged separately.
- For cello:
- Instruments can be rented or purchased from C&L Music (510-252-9768).
- Two credit cards and a driver license are required to rent an instrument from C&L Music.
- There is a three-month minimum rental. Monthly rent occurs upon completion of the three months. Up to 80% of the rental credit can be applied to the purchase of the instrument. All rental credit is forfeited upon return of the rental instrument.
- Students may need a music stand which can be purchased online or in any music stores.
- In online classes, parent participation is required.
- Learn from some of the finest professional Chinese instrument masters. See instructors info.
- Students may have a chance to record their performance which will be showcased in our final performance video.
- Interested students may continue to learn the instruments in the Fall program starting in September 2020. See instrument class program. A brief audition will be conducted at the end of the summer session for students who are interested to join the year-long program.
- Scholarships are available for zhongruan, sheng, and suona students in Fall season.
- Develop motor skills through acquiring playing techniques of the Chinese traditional instruments.
- Strengthen listening skills, concentration, and discipline and reinforce teamwork and cooperation through playing music with other students.
- Equip children with basic skills for self-expression and encourage creativity.
- Check out the FAQ section for some most commonly asked questions.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 510-701-8608 (Mandarin/daytime), 510-378-9045 (English/evening)